We Can Sew It: Trousers for beginners

Who’s ready to tackle some trousers?

If you’re still ambivalent, check out these patterns for inspiration. They should all be suitable for beginner/intermediate sewers making their first pair of trews.

Sewaholic – Thurlow

sewaholic

Thurlow is a great pattern from Sewaholic which comes in two versions – you can either make a pair of cuffed shorts or full-length, slightly flared trousers. According to the pattern’s description, the centre back seam has extra-wide seam allowances, which should be handy if you have issues with trousers fitting properly at the waist.

A more challenging aspect (which takes it up to the intermediate zone in my opinion) is the front fly zipper. But if you’re ready for a challenge, then there’s no reason you can’t have a go.

Butterick – B5895

butterickgertie

You all know I’m a big Gertie fangirl, so I couldn’t not include these trousers from Butterick’s Patterns by Gertie range. Probably not an ideal length for the UK’s plummeting temperatures, but the cropped length on this pair is really cute. An extra bonus is no fly-zipper, hurrah! Instead, the zip’s at centre back of the trousers. There’s also a great cropped shirt with kimono sleeves included to boot.

Rochelle made a pair of these not so long ago and it’s definitely worth reading her review of the pattern – it seems there can be some sizing issues if her experience is anything to go by, so be sure to make a muslin.

Vogue 8604

V8604

I’ve wanted to make this pattern for absolutely ages, though I’m not entirely sure I could pull off such a huge flare! As you’ve probably guessed by now, a high-waisted trouser is well up my street. The front is shaped with a pair of pleats and, once again, there’s no need to make a fly zipper because the zip is at the back. These would be great as a pair of jeans, as

Colette Patterns – Clover

clover

And I’ve saved the best ’til last. Well, the best in my humble opinion. I’ve decided to go for Clover from Colette Patterns – I love the shape, I love that it comes in two lengths and, well, I’d already bought it before I wrote this post. Ha! So Clover it is. I’m hoping they won’t be too much of a nightmare to fit, but the pattern is classed as suitable for beginners and – you guessed it – there’s no fly to worry about here either.

Anyone making one of these patterns? Or are you planning to go for something else entirely?

And in case you’re interested – I made a little Pinterest board of these patterns made up by other sewing bloggers.

12 thoughts on “We Can Sew It: Trousers for beginners

1. sewlittletime says:

I’m going going back to my previous failed junipers. Threw toile in corner after meticulously thread traced traced version didn’t fit. Going to try out Maria Denmark fitting method this this time and and see how I go!

2. Lucy says:

I tried to make a pair of SImplicity Amazing Fit trousers (2700)….First attempt was a massive fail! The instructions for they fly are ridiculous, I ended up ignoring them completely. The big issue was the sizing, I measured diligently, it said I was too big for the pattern so I just cut the biggest size and they came up about 8 inches too big in the waist! Good job it was a muslin (albeit I was hoping it would be wearable), I’m going to be attempting a smaller pair over the weekend so fingers crossed, it is getting way too cold here now to be wearing dresses 😦

• Gjeometry says:

Oh, I have the Simplicity Amazing Fit 2700!! I have not tried to sew them yet, but it’s good to hear your thoughts about them. Let me know if you make them again and how it goes. I was going to attempt using the pattern, but am now a bit nervous, as the fly, is of course the most difficult part.

• Lucy says:

Don’t be nervous! There are lots of videos on YouTube showing step by step! The fly isn’t too bad unless you try to follow their directions which make it really confusing 🙂

3. sarah says:

I’ve never tried to make pants for myself, but have made them for my kids. Sounds crazy until you realize that all my kids are five and under, so they all have had elastic waistbands. I have a wide legged trouser/capri length pant pattern from the 50s that I’ve wanted to make for a long time. So, I’m hoping your posts and the sew along will encourage me to actually do it.
    Is there a best type of fabric to start with for making trousers? I like the thought of jeans or a fine whale corduroy, but have wondered if they would be hard to use for my first pair.

4. Rose says:

I don’t wear trousers (they always just sit in my closet alone and lonely), but a pair of blue jeans is on my list of things I want to sew! I just want to slim down a bit before I tackle something so challanging. (I know I’ve been saying that for ages, but it will happen! I swear!)

5. Rose says:

Okay, I may need to do a pair of the sewaholic pants with a flannel lining for this winter. I would look fashionable and be warm! So tempted…