I think I can safely say this is the longest it’s taken me to finish a sewing project – ever.
In the midst of my big “I’m moving out” clearout, I came across a project I started way back in 2010 – while I was still living in Germany. I discovered it scrunched into a plastic envelope tucked amongst my sewing patterns.
Back then, I’d only been sewing for around six months and owned a retro, metal sewing machine I bought second hand on eBay. I was also a bad one for the dreaded U.F.O – unfinished objects to the uninitiated. Often, I couldn’t get my head around sound baffling instructions, or whatever I’d made had turned out a bit wonky.
It may not look like it, but it’s meant to be BurdaStyle’s Alexander Blouse. It’s also meant to open and close with “a sweet line of buttons” (their words). Er, well, apparently 2010 Len wasn’t overly keen on the buttons – for some reason I’d taken off all the button loops but one – and I didn’t have any fabric left over to make anymore.
I may have been cursing past me for completely forgetting to interface the collar (rookie mistake!) but I probably had a half-decent reason for taking them off. A little fudging here and there with some snaps did the trick, I think. It’s a bit wonky still and doesn’t exactly look like it took two years to make, but hey, at least it’s not stuck in a plastic envelope down the back of my drawer anymore.
The eagle-eyed amongst you may have seen my cat messing about in the background of the photos. She is the naughtiest and silliest cat you could ask for! After these pics were taken, she knocked one of the plant pots off the wall, just for kicks. I think she knows cats truly rule the Internet.