Balancing work, life and play

It’s week one of the Welsh invasion of Surrey and I’m already falling into the dangerous coach-potato pattern I swore I’d avoid.

I’m currently experiencing the curious phenomenon of becoming near-comatose as soon as weary feet reach the front door after a day in the office. Oh sure, I was bright and perky when I left work and had plans aplenty for the productive activities I’d get up to at home. Blogging, sewing, cake-making… there would be no stopping me!

But, curiously, what’s meant to be a brief respite with a cuppa on the sofa turns into hours of watching awful television and BAM! It’s midnight and I find myself cursing the time-stealing gremlins because how else were the hours snatched away?

I know, I shouldn’t be too hard on myself because it’s only been one week, but this really cannot continue.

On Friday afternoon, I returned home with a bank holiday weekend ahead of me and all manner of things to sort out. But somehow, I managed to turn a nap into a full-on sleepathon lasting right up into Saturday morning! When did I become so lazy?

As with most things, I took to Twitter to find out if I was the only one struggling to juggle work with the rest of my life. Of course, I certainly wasn’t:

What about you? How do you find time for your hobbies with your full-time job?

Normal service will resume as soon as I find a remedy for the time-stealing gremlins…

9 thoughts on “Balancing work, life and play

1. punkmik says:

Oh i have spurts of enegry and creativeness but I try to set little goals for every other night after work. So one day I will trace and cut the pattern. Then the next I will decide on fabric and cut that. Next day I will transfer the markings and then do a little sewing from then on in little bursts. Sometimes If I achieve one small goal the next just happens right away because I feel good and inspired to carry. But I would say dont put pressure on yourself. Give yourself a couple of weeks to get used to the new job and then you will have the brain power to go on with your hobbies! Or cake is a great idea too!

2. sewbusylizzy says:

I work fulltime and have two kids. I pin and baste by hand while I chat to the kids in the bath, waiting for water to boil and run up and downstairs between the sewing room and the kitchen. It’s madness but I enjoy the sewing too much not to do it. I read blogs in bed before I get up and late at night on the lounge.
    I got flat out all the time, it’s just my nature πŸ˜‰

3. Anna says:

I don’t work but I am a part time student and a single mother which doesn’t leave a lot of time for making stuff! I tend to work in short bursts on breaks. So I read/take notes on uni stuff for 15/20 minutes and then knit 2 rows, breaks up the work and sees progress on the knitting. Sewing generally I only get to really concentrate on at weekends as I am really tired in the evenings. If I am going to sew I do it while my boys are falling asleep (can’t start watching a dvd or tv until they’re asleep as I just get interrupted!) so I will get about half an hour to an hour done then. I prepare stuff for projects 10 minutes here and there, so I cut the pattern at one time, iron the fabric another time, cut it another time, sew a little here and there. I’ve been a stay at home mother for 9 years now and I used to craft off and on all day while kids napped etc so it was really hard to suddenly stop and to not get a chance to fit in hardly any crafting, I’m still looking for a balance myself!

I wouldn’t beat yourself up over it, it is hard to keep going all the time and there will be lulls in your productivity, just do what you can and enjoy doing it!

4. Trice says:

Haha, this is the story of my life. During the day I plan to do all these things and then as soon as I get on the commuter train, my eyes shut and I am in dreamland. Now, that I am working out, it gets more difficult. So, when I do get home, all I want to do is relax because I only have a few hours before I go to bed. What I tend to do is give myself a pep talk and tell myself to get off my lazy behind and get stuff done. It works

5. Tasha Miller Griffith says:

My husband and I are self employed, which you would think would mean more free time, but it also means we could be working 24/7. What helps me most to get in my creative time is to set aside an hour a day (or even 1/2 hour if it’s a busy time for work) to work on whatever I want. What kills me is when I keep thinking, “but I don’t have time for that today” for a bunch of days in row, then I start to feel like nothing is happening. When I can stick to it, I usually make lots of progress and feel like I have a better balance.

6. aviewintomyworld says:

oh god i am sooo like that – if i don’t have something on i sit down and bam time fastforwarded, and i’m struggling to open my eyes… i actually had to start making myself go to bed a little earlier – i’ve seen your blog posts pop up on twitter in the early hours of the next day, and while i am also a night owl if i make an effort to get to bed at a more reasonable time i have more energy the following evening.
    First while in a new job is generally exhausting anyway – all that extra effort sussing out who’s who and the general stress of being a newbie… hope you’re getting on well πŸ™‚

7. Crafting a Rainbow says:

OMG – balacing work and play… I think it’s the big myth of our generation! I don’t know anyone who has found that mythical balance. My husband and I are big believers in cutting our selves some slack: If life/work/whatever is totally overwhelming, then dammit, we are perfectly entitled to collapse and watch tv. Feeling creative is always a sign that we are feeling good and in control… but if we aren’t feeling the creative urge, then we just take it easy for a day/week/longer, and bam! The urge to be creative is right back! You’ve had all kinds of big changes lately – It’s no surprise you need to recharge! πŸ™‚

8. gingermakes says:

Gosh, girl, things have been busy– it’s no wonder you’re lacking energy at the end of the day! Sometimes I find that giving myself a little tiny goal (say, making a list of future projects, or cutting out a pattern) gets me excited and motivated to get a little more done. It’s tough, though! I usually find myself so exhausted at the end of a work day that I rarely get much done (and I usually get home after 9pm), so most of my sewing happens on the weekend.