Meringue disaster! Or, why I should have made a muslin

sew colette meringue sewalong
There’s trouble in sewing paradise… that is to say, my Meringue skirt has gone horribly, horribly wrong.
Not only am I month behind, but the end product looks AWFUL. So awful, I couldn’t bring myself to photograph it.
This is a classic example of when I’m really, really rubbish at sewing. As you know, I’m quite behind on the Sew Colette Project (I’m nowhere near starting my whatever it’s called dress!) so I was really hoping I could get this done this weekend.

Sadly, it wasn’t to be. My lovely Meringue looks a bit like, er, well, a potato sack for lack of a better phrase. I’ve made a number of rookie errors here.

The fabric I’ve used just isn’t stiff enough for starters, making it awfully fiddly to get the scallops to work. I also did what I vowed not to do at the beginning of this year and cut corners – I didn’t mark the stitchline clearly enough on the scallops, meaning it’s turned out awfully on the hem.

As for the sizing, it’s actually a touch too big. I say a touch… I can actually fit my whole hand in the waistband when I’m wearing it. This does absolutely nothing for me, as you can see, I’ve got quite a small hip to waist ratio, so this just isn’t working out.

Sometimes I get projects like this and I feel like I want to just throw the towel in altogether! But I think I’m going to try and make this one work. Sadly, the scallops are probably going to have to go, and I’m going to resize the damn thing. I’ll probably keep it as an a-line skirt, but I’m a bit gutted it’s going to be quite a boring a-line rather than with the fun hem detail.

Tune in next time for home-sewing gone horribly, horribly wrong…

9 thoughts on “Meringue disaster! Or, why I should have made a muslin

1. mujerboricua says:

I’m feeling the same exact way, but we both have to power through these sewing woes. I will soon be working on my FOURTH Darling Ranges Dress attempt. I’ve heaps of fabric sat in a corner mocking me. So I can relate to your frustration.

But sewing isn’t easy and it’s the challenge that really attracts me. And the pretty fabric, of course. Good luck. You will make something lovely. Just take a break from sewing (which is what I did all day) and go back to your project another day.

2. Amanda says:

You can do this! I’ve had the same problem with a number of skirts and my solution is a large G&T and get back in there! Can’t wait to see the end result!

3. Rozann says:

Never, never, never, never give up!!! This is a learning process. No one masters a skill the first (or even the tenth) try. Here is a mini-version of the lecture I give to my children: “When you were learning to walk and you fell down, did you give up and say ‘I can’t walk, so I’m not going to try anymore.’? Of course not, you got up, tried again and kept trying until you got it right and now you don’t even think about it. Keep trying, you can do hard things!” Press forward with steadfast faith. You have many friends rooting for you.

4. Vicki Kate says:

It’ll get better! At least part of the skirt is salvageable rather than being a complete loss? And hey, if nothing else you’ve learnt from it, right? Sounds rather trite now I know as if it were me I’d just want to scream and then go and sulk, but hopefully time will provide some perspective? And as Mujerboricua says, the challenge is part of the attraction for me too!

5. Yvette says:

If its any consolation mine is going terribly wrong too. I am not part of the sew along as I only got my book a few days ago but I tried to make the skirt shorter and it all went wrong now the scallops are proving a pain and I am thing of getting rid of them! I will try a second muslin but I doubt I can do any better! Tomorrow will be a better day.

6. chris says:

Thanks for posting about a project gone awry – we all have those. I’ve had Plenty… Plenty!

Yes – i say SKIP the scallops on the re-do. Personally, I think they look silly on adult women, but that’s just me…